Friday, March 19, 2010

Top 10 Ghost Images - #1


The photo above is probably one of the most famous photographs ever taken of what is said to be a ghost. It was taken in September of 1936 at Raynham Hall in Norfolk, England by two photographers, Captain Provand and Indre Shira, assigned by Country Life magazine. Shira recalled the event as following:

"Captain Provand took one photograph while I flashed the light. He was focusing for another exposure; I was standing by his side just behind the camera with the flashlight pistol in my hand, looking directly up the staircase. All at once I detected an ethereal veiled form coming slowly down the stairs. Rather excitedly, I called out sharply: 'Quick, quick, there's something.' I pressed the trigger of the flashlight pistol. After the flash and on closing the shutter, Captain Provand removed the focusing cloth from his head and turning to me said: 'What's all the excitement about?"

The ghost, called “The Brown Lady”, was first seen upon developing the picture and it was published in the December 16 of that year’s issue of Country Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment